BMW released pictures of their newest M variant V8 engine this morning. This new high-revving engine is slated to power the first ever V8 M3. The all new M3 Concept Car was unveiled a couple of weeks ago at the Geneva Auto Show. The new M3 featuring this all new V8 engine should be unveiled at the Frankfurt Auto Show in September 2007 as a 2008 model.
Here are some bullet points of the car and engine specifications.
• First eight-cylinder for the BMW M3 sports car.
• Supreme performance ensured by 309 kW/420 hp from 4.0 litres.
• Maximum torque of 400 Newton-metres (295 lb-ft) at 3, 900 rpm,
85 per cent of maximum torque over a speed range of 6,500 rpm.
• Unique thrust and muscle ensured by consistent implementation of the M high-speed engine concept, maximum engine speed 8,300 rpm.
• Consistent lightweight construction of engine and ancillary units,
new V8 power unit one of the lightest eight-cylinders in the world,
lighter than the straight-six power unit in the former model.
• Variable camshaft control, low-pressure double-VANOS for an
optimum charge cycle, system offering full power and performance even with normal engine oil pressure.
• Eight individual throttle butterflies for spontaneous engine response.
• Consistent and reliable oil supply with longitudinal and lateral acceleration up to 1.4 g ensured by two oil pumps and wet sump oil lubrication optimised for supreme dynamic behaviour.
• Exhaust system optimising cylinder charge, optimised for weight and function by means of internal high-pressure remoulding, exhaust emissions fulfil EU4 and LEV 2 standards.
• Upgraded MSS60 engine control unit for optimum coordination of all engine functions with the various control systems in the car.
• Ion flow technology recognising and distinguishing engine knocking phenomena as well as misfiring and miscombustion by measurement of ion flow in the combustion chambers.
• Brake Energy Regeneration with intelligent alternator control.
Feature/entity 2nd engine of the M engine family Fuel Otto RON 98 (95) Max output hp (kW) 420 (309) at min–1 8,300 Max torque Nm 400 at min–1 3,900 Max engine speed min–1 8,400 Stroke mm 75.2 Bore mm 92.0 Displacement cm3 3,999 Distance between cylinders mm 98 Cylinder arrangement 8-cylinder V-engine Valve plate diameter, intake mm 35.0 Valve plate diameter, outlet mm 30.5 Compression ratio 12.0 Fuel injection Intake pipe fuel injection Fuel injection pressure bar 3–6 Average combustion chamber pressure bar 12.6 Maximum combustion chamber pressure bar 100 Engine weight to BMW standard kg 202 Output per litre hp/L 105 Power-to-weight ratio kg/kW 0.65 Crankcase Aluminium Valvetrain Infinite camshaft adjustment and hydraulic valve clearance adjustment for intake and outlet (double VANOS)
Join the discussion of the new E92 M3 in the M3 Forum, the largest in the world!
Click the images for larger pictures (Not all are linked, I ran out of time).